More of Notre Dame’s students than ever before are progressing on to higher and degree level apprenticeships!
Most recently, upper sixth Elijah Gatewood-Skeete (pictured above) was given a place on a highly competitive degree apprenticeship with Rolls Royce, having gone through a rigorous selection process. He was one of only 37 students chosen from thousands of applicants. The final step for Elijah was attending a Zoom interview, during which he presented his A-level Product Design portfolio, impressing the company with his CAD (computer-aided design) work in particular.
A number of our students progress to higher and degree level apprenticeships each year, with support from their teachers and the college Careers Department, which offers a bespoke programme of information, advice and guidance for all upper sixth who are identified as not planning to progress to a traditional university degree.
Apprenticeships offer a debt-free alternative to university for students who are certain of the sector they’d like to work in. They’re certainly not an easy option, involving 80% employment, 20% study at college or university, and further work during evenings and weekends. However, students who progress on to them benefit from extensive time in the workplace, get a foot in the door with an employer, and can gain a degree or master’s level qualification while being paid to study.
In addition to Elijah’s success, our students have recently gone on to - or are waiting to take up places on - the following:
- Digital and Marketing higher apprenticeship with Ascensor
- Level 7 (equivalent to a master’s degree) Solicitor apprenticeship with AWB Charlesworth Solicitors via BPP / CMS LLP (international law firm)
- Quantity Surveying degree apprenticeship with RBA (Richard Boothroyd & Associates Ltd)
- Regeneration Officer degree apprenticeship with Leeds City Council
- Engineering degree apprenticeship with ENGIE Fabricom
- Digital and Technology Solutions degree apprenticeship with FDM
- Chartered Management degree apprenticeship with Morrisons
- Digital degree apprenticeship with Cox Automotive
- Level 7 Accountancy apprenticeship with Mazars / CCS Media / KPMG
Some of our upper sixth leavers also start on a level 3 apprenticeship (equivalent to A-levels) and are supported by their company to work their way up to degree level, for example with Plexus Law, Connect Housing, Hallam Solicitors, and the NHS.
If you’d like further information about apprenticeships, or the support offered by Notre Dame’s Careers Department, please email firstname.lastname@example.org