On Thursday 13 December, eight high-profile companies from the digital sector gave up their time to tell our students about future roles in their businesses.
More than 160 students – mainly from computer science, IT and business classes – attended the Industry Leaders event to find out more about routes into a variety of careers. Notre Dame’s IT suite and IT classrooms became a digital hub for the day, playing host to a carousel of interactive and inspiring activities which enabled our students to gain first-hand knowledge from people at the cutting edge of technological development. The event was organised as a joint venture with Ahead Partnership, a social enterprise which works to bring employers and students together.
Highlights of the event included the energetic presentations delivered by Jet2, BJSS and PwC, with an additional benefit of the day being the details given by each company of how their business was built up, and how the attending members of staff came to be in their current roles.
The companies involved were:
- ARUP – ‘an independent firm of designers, engineers, architects, planners, consultants and technical specialists working across every aspect of today’s built environment.’
- BJSS – ‘the UK’s leading privately-owned it and business consultancy.’
- Branswer – a content creation platform.
- Cooperative Innovations – a game design studio specialising in virtual & augmented realities.
- Jet2 – a leading airline and holiday business.
- PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers) – a multinational professional services network.
- Telefonica – a market leadership in communication networks.
- Xiros – pioneering medical devices from concept to creation.
IT and computer science tutor, Mr Steve Johnston said the event was: ‘Thoroughly enjoyable, with a solid selection of top businesses for our students to interact with.’
IT Student Amelia Coolican added: ‘I liked being able to meet various different companies from different industry backgrounds, all in one session.’