If you are a parent/carer and missed the recent HE Parents’ Evening, please click here to see the main presentation from the event.
Notre Dame Sixth Form College has developed excellent links with local and national universities. Students are supported with university applications during tutorials, lunch time workshops, one to one tutorials, Higher Education day and Higher Education Parents evening. Each year more than 70% of students’ progress to higher education and 30% of students gain places with Russell Group Universities. Notre Dame has specialist support for students considering Oxbridge and medical courses, including the Enhancing Excellence programme.
Applications to Oxford, Cambridge, and Russell Group Universities
The College Oxbridge and Russell Group programme, Enhancing Excellence, liaises closely with the Careers Department and tutors to identify academically able students and encourage them to consider applying to Oxford, Cambridge, or Russell Group Universities. Each year a range of subject specialists are involved and selected students attended residentials, conferences and weekly discussion groups to prepare them for the more rigorous tests and interviews required by these universities.
How to prepare for university
- Visit university open days
- Book on to university taster days
- Attend university summer schools
- Check GCSE and A level entry requirements in advance
- Gain necessary work experience
- Check pre entry exams (law, medicine, teaching)
- Join one of our Future Programmes!
To find out more, please click here to view the Future Programmes presentation.
Students will register for UCAS 2019 on HE Day in June 2018. Students will require the college BUZZWORD to register and complete the application.
Useful websites to help students with university research and selection:
- UCAS are the organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK. They provide valuable advice and information on all aspects of university and course selection. http://www.ucas.com/
- The Complete University Guide website contains university league tables, as well as lots of useful information and advice. It also provides a ranking list of universities. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/
- Which University is a website designed to help students make more informed decisions about their higher education choices. It’s free, independent and takes no advertising – and it’s brought to you by the people at Which? http://university.which.co.uk/
- Student Finance England https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
- New parent guide http://www.gohigherwestyorks.ac.uk/parentsandcarers/
It is important students start their HE research in L6 as UCAS applications can be sent from September in U6. Students can choose 5 universities and have one personal statement to write. Work experience is compulsory for some university courses so please research this early on in L6. Careers can support students with finding work experience placements.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding higher education.