2016 has been a very exciting year for the PE department at Notre Dame, with the launch of ‘Team ND’. The aim was to provide an even bigger range of sports for our students than has been available in previous years – all under the same ‘Team ND’ banner. Students have had the opportunity to play basketball, football, volleyball, cricket, boxing, badminton, netball and rugby throughout the year. ‘Team ND’ also has a unique partnership with Leeds Beckett University, which means that specialist coaches from their highly successful sports department come to Notre Dame to train our students in the available sports.
To celebrate an extremely successful first year, an awards ceremony was held last week in order to commemorate some brilliant performances by our students. Here are the awards presented to our fabulous students:
- Badminton player of the year – Matt Jones
- Basketball player of the year – Kamal Gamir Shahin
- Boxer of the year – Obrey Zulu
- Football Academy player of the year – Brett Hinchliffe
- Football 1st XI players of the year – David Morley, Fungai Madeya
- Cross Country Runner of the year – Will Collumb
- Outstanding Sports Performer of the year – Matty Lee
- Netball player of the year – Kate Gledhill
- BTEC Sport Diploma Outstanding Academic Performance – Katie Richardson
- Rugby player of the year – Callum Richardson
- Activators Award 2016 – Emma Haslam, Matty Mayne
- Unsung Hero Award – Lesley Stead
- Volleyball player of the year – Zoe Malone
A very special well done to all of our award winners!
Pictured is Brett Hinchliffe after receiving his Football Academy award.